Thursday, March 13, 2014

Cross+Training Day 9... Time...Time...Time...

Cross+Training today was honestly the last thing on my mind. The day was FULL of everything and of course S was up at 3:30AM this morning and wanting to snuggle in bed so my last couple hours of sleep were restless to say the least. Following that wonderful early morning, I had two conversations about possible jobs, two meetings with friends, finally got on SnapChat and used it (nothing obscene I promise) and enjoyed birthday dinner out with the little lady. Regardless, upon reflection, I was really Cross+Training all day.
sorry for the poor quality on this one...
she was so excited to take a picture with the iPhone I couldn't resist
Moments of gratitude - In my rush this morning, I forgot my phone! Normally, no big deal, but with the schedule I had I was counting on having that handy to keep things moving and end one meeting on time. So, today I'm extremely grateful that I often wear a watch. I started the habit when I worked trained Freshman Orientation Leaders - why? Because, the second I didn't have a clock in a room and wanted to make sure we were on schedule I had two choices - lose them and look for my phone in my pocket or casually glance at a watch. You see, the second that phone came out (and we aren't talking smart phone, folks. We are talking bulky, old and hard to read time on a screen) their phones did too. Any guesses on how much nicer their phones were than the public university provided cell phone I was using? Oh yes, they most definitely were texting in seconds. So, today, I was glad I was wearing that watch. Wearing that also let me know that I had 5 minutes to pray before heading into my second interview.

Speaking of time, another gift to the world traffic time signs on the freeway. Just as I was about to get to the freeway I would normally take to get S, I saw the alert about a slow freeway time heading eastbound. Whew! I hopped off the road I was on and snagged my favorite city street detour to get myself to S's daycare just in time.

The birthday girl had a great day and now for my final gratitude. Advance warning, you should really only read this if you are a parent who has gone through potty training a child. S practiced her extra big girl skills today during one of the potty breaks earning herself a coveted chocolate candy. Perhaps the day has just been too long, but really, if I'm expressing gratitudes, that's one of them. She is growing up fast and time won't keep her small for long, but the extra big girl skills - well, I'll take it.

As we left daycare, I saw God in one of S's friends who walked up to her, smiled and stuck his thumb in his mouth just like she does and then said, "Happy Birthday, S" and gave her a huge hug. Her school "big brother" will be greatly missed when we switch daycare's so the traffic time sign will become less relevant, at least for my runs to her daycare.

Friends, it's time for a confession. I did not get my 30 minutes of exercise in today. It's just the way it is sometimes and part of Lent is Cross+Training and part of Lent is grace and remembering that Lent ends in forgiveness, feet washing, sacrifice and ultimately resurrection. So today, I will give thanks that was part of so many amazing things and that my exercise wasn't as grand as I want it to be...but in the end, Easter comes always.


No comments:

Post a Comment