Thursday, March 27, 2014

Cross+Training Day 22... Love me some cooperation...

So, I guess I'm now writing the previous day's post the next morning. Late night writing hasn't been appealing to me lately, so here we are writing day 22 on day 23.

Last night we dove into the gospel text from this past Sunday at mid-week worship. The text of the woman at the well. Pastor Ari did a beautiful comparison and contrast of the woman and Nicodemus from the week before. Nicodemus who wanted facts the woman who grasped the mystery of spirit. I'm not going to share all of his reflection here, but if you want a good mid-week thought, you should swing by Martin Luther Church next week.

I will say this however, those moments of life that I grab on to facts are frequent. My new job will have lots of facts. Lots of moments when numbers and names and databases matter. I am so looking forward to the moments when it's really all about spirit. It's connection to people. Hopes. Dreams. Desires. Sometimes, these things are quantifiable, but the world will still look for numbers. I'm pondering when those moments come will I go seeking Jesus in the night, hoping to find the answers or will I sit by the well and draw water and listen attentively for something far more mysterious... It's a secular job. No doubt about it. So for the first time in a long time I will be challenged in living my faith without the same language. I'm excited and to be honest nervous about this... If you've moved in this direction professionally, we should chat.

I realized yesterday how grateful I am that I was pushed academically as a teen. As I retold parts of my life story to a friend at church, it reminded me of the foundation that brought me to college. I'm grateful for the time I've had to read some amazing books these past few months. I don't know if I posted but Take this Bread by Sara Miles and Pastrix by Nadia Bolz-Weber and David and Golliath by Malcolm Gladwell are all some worthy and meaningful reads. I really love reading and hope I can continue to find the time with new work, new directions and all that comes with it! I'm grateful for Kimmy who has reminded me always that I am loved, especially these past two months. She is faithful and diligent to the end. Sorry I got a job Kimmy and won't be seeing you this Holy Week!

In another conversation today, I talked with someone about sticking things out for a while, working it and though I don't know the conclusion, God was there. God is holding that conclusion for this person. It will come perhaps in God's time not a time of his choosing...

No comments:

Post a Comment