 |
| Dylan at the Brady Street Firehouse |
Last weekend, we enjoyed nice weather and were looking forward to the record temps coming for the week. In hopes of encouraging a little girl to come out we took a nice walk, short, but nice with Dylan on both Saturday and Sunday. I even cleaned up the yard a bit on Sunday knowing that we were past the danger point for too early of a delivery. Sunday we went to church and then out to lunch - I was craving enchilladas - and Dylan got to go see the firetruck at the fire house across the street. The firefighters have lots of kids that visit so they even have special hats to hand out.
 |
| One last pregnant belly shot |
On Monday, March 12th at 10PM, we experienced the same activities as last pregnancy. My water broke, but this time my doctor wanted me to come right in due to risk of bleeding with some placenta complications. So, we called Grammie Pearl who was up and got some coffee for the drive to Milwaukee. Then we called Tom and Linda our church friends and adoptive neighborhood grandparents who came right over so we could head out. Dylan was of course asleep, but just that night I had said to him, mommy might be gone for a couple of days, but it will be ok and you can come visit mommy. He was very clingy before bed, but eventually let me go get some rest.
We got to the hospital, they checked me over and said, yup, you are staying. Then we got moved to a labor room, but nothing was really happening. Again I had pitocin around 4AM. My OB felt even with the earlier complications things had moved enough that I could deliver naturally (no other drugs - let's say she had more faith than I did this time!) Then things started moving. By 7:30 I was asking when my OB would arrive and she did about an hour later - plenty of time, but when you are in labor you are never sure
One of the residents checked and said I was at 8cm! I excited, then my OB arrived and I asked her to check again she said, sorry, you're only at 6 :( But she got me up, moved around a bit and soon we were ready to push! Pushing was longer and harder than with Dylan and because of the placenta issues I had quite a bit more bleeding. Sophie was great though, she was give straight to me and within 10 minutes was happily nursing away - for almost a full hour! Poor Eric got to cute the cord but wasn't holding her for quite some time.
 |
| finally daddy gets to hold me! |
After all that nursing she weighed in at 7lbs, 7 oz (and some small amount more so she was actually closer to 7/8) and was 20 inches long. We had a bit longer in the delivery room to make sure my bleeding and blood pressure was ok and then we headed up one floor to the recovery area.
 |
| all done nursing... time to get checked out |
 |
and I'm opening my eyes just a bit
We just got settled when our first visitors arrives. Pastor David and Vicar Laura from church gave Sophie Pearl a blessing and we chatted for a while. They took a first family photo of us (minus Dylan of course). Then some friends of ours from church who just had a baby girl the day before stopped by. I helped Vicar Laura bless baby Siena the day before and her nurse asked me when I was due - I told her anytime, can I just head downstairs and get started? Ironically, that same nurse helped us get settled on the Mom and Baby floor! She let our friends know we were here and the two girls met for the first time - just one day and a few hours old :)
Dylan and Grammie Pearl and Auntie Angie came by around 4PM and big brother ran all over the room! He was a bit loud, but didn't seem to mind Sophie. They headed home and we got some sleep for the night and our friend Ann who is a mid-wife stopped in to see us too! Sophie was nursing so well that I didn't mind her going to the Nursery for a few hours at a time. Eric really needed some sleep as he didn't get any while I was in labor.
The next day, we had several visitors: Godmother, Angela O., friend Malissa, friend from church a new mommy of twins girls - Kristy, Dylan and Grammie Pearl stopped back after school and while they went to dinner in the cafeteria Tom and Linda stopped in on their way to church for mid-week soup. |
 |
| first family photo |
 |
| Auntie Angie and Sophie |
 |
| Tom & Linda |
 |
| Tom with Aj Bunny (Dylan's) and Sophie's new bunny both made by Auntie Angie! |
 |
| Big brother, little sister and daddy |
 |
| Complete... well maybe a dog again in a few years :) |
 |
| gentle touch... |
We headed home on Thursday morning at about 9AM. It was great to get out in the warm air. The temperatures hadn't dropped here at all yet. My friend Sandy from church came by and brought us a beautiful hat she knit for Sophie. It will be perfect for next winter and maybe the following too if Sophie' is anything like Dylan for growth. We lounged at home all day and then Dylan came home and we had a nice dinner. He is doing alright with the adjustments around the house, but clearly isn't always thrilled about Sophie. He went to school today again, but wasn't happy to leave the house this morning.
This weekend we'll take Sophie to her first doctor appointment and have some 'just the four of us' time. Then Grammie Pearl will be back next week since I'm not supposed to drive for a full week.
That's all for now, but getting the full story written is pretty good :)
No comments:
Post a Comment