This weekend I enjoyed a celebration of my birthday. No official cake. No grand singing (though I did actually have a former student recorded by a friend singing to me...). No blowing out of candles. It was simple and maybe a bit more grown-up than birthday celebrations of the past. My weekend was filled with time alone, painting my new place and time with people very special to me.
Last year I made a big deal about having a "Jesus Birthday" celebrating my 33rd year. I thought about some crazy things I could do to make the year standout - a tattoo perhaps or reading the entire bible or traveling somewhere exotic. But, you know what, the year has been terrible. Big picture one of the hardest years ever, but also this year has been amazing. I didn't get a tattoo. I didn't read the whole bible (though I did get a good start and learned a lot about the wandering Israelites that actually sounded like Gospel not Law). I didn't get to travel somewhere exotic (though some might call Seattle exotic). No, this year, I faced reality. A reality of the need for things to change.
The amazing parts of this year seem like diamonds in the rough, but slowly they are shining brighter in my life and changing everything in a good way. A new direction and a hope that the lessons learned in 'Jesus year' are remembered and mistakes of the past aren't repeated. That's all anyone can hope for, right?
So, the 34th year...
Photo a day? learning to enjoy alone time? building new relationships? really giving focus to my children? All sound pretty good, right? Resurrection year... let's go.
No comments:
Post a Comment